PHOENIX — For months, Cave Creek and Scottsdale feuded over the title, “The West’s Most Western Town” that Scottsdale has held since 1947.
Threats of legal action were made. The idea of a quick-draw shooting contest was suggested to settle the matter.
After the kerfuffle, Cave Creek has backed down from the fight and came up with its own title. The Cave Creek Council has pulled the trigger on the new town title “Where The Wild West Lives.”
State Historian Marshall TrImble backed Scottsdale’s hand during the feud and calls Cave Creek “claim jumpers” for trying to declare themselves the “West’s Most Western Town.”
“[Cave Creek] needed to make up their own motto,” he said. “Both sides should be happy now. Cave Creek is a neat little place but not what you would call cowboy western except during Wild West Days.”
Trimble admitted he may be a bit partial.
“My grandparents came to Scottsdale in the 1920s and I came here in the 1960s.”
Trimble said it likely isn’t Cave Creek or Scottsdale that is the most western town. It’s probably not even in Arizona.
“It’s probably someplace in Montana where horses outnumber motorcycles.”
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.