PHOENIX — For months, Cave Creek and Scottsdale feuded over the title, “The West’s Most Western Town” that Scottsdale has held since 1947.
Threats of legal action were made. The idea of a quick-draw shooting contest was suggested to settle the matter.
After the kerfuffle, Cave Creek has backed down from the fight and came up with its own title. The Cave Creek Council has pulled the trigger on the new town title “Where The Wild West Lives.”
State Historian Marshall TrImble backed Scottsdale’s hand during the feud and calls Cave Creek “claim jumpers” for trying to declare themselves the “West’s Most Western Town.”
“[Cave Creek] needed to make up their own motto,” he said. “Both sides should be happy now. Cave Creek is a neat little place but not what you would call cowboy western except during Wild West Days.”
Trimble admitted he may be a bit partial.
“My grandparents came to Scottsdale in the 1920s and I came here in the 1960s.”
Trimble said it likely isn’t Cave Creek or Scottsdale that is the most western town. It’s probably not even in Arizona.
“It’s probably someplace in Montana where horses outnumber motorcycles.”
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon