PHOENIX — About 1 in 5 homeless people on Phoenix streets are veterans.
“It’s not right to have anybody who served this nation living on the streets,” said Mike McQuaid with the Human Services Campus.
McQuaid’s facility shelters about 1,100 people each day, many of whom are veterans.
McQuaid said he has one goal and believes it is within reach: “We will end chronic homelessness in Phoenix within the next 12 months,” he said.
McQuaid said the strategy is no longer simply getting veterans off the street and into a shelter.
“The thinking used to be that you had to get the homeless veterans clean, sober, mentally stable before you got them into housing,” he said. “Almost never did that happen in the shelter or on the streets.
“Now we’re taking the individual and putting them into housing with support services wrapped around them and then 85 percent of the chronically homeless will stay in that housing.”
A new Maricopa County website should help in achieving that goal.
“A lot of the time, the communication as to where there are resources and benefits along with housing and employment opportunities is lacking so this website should be a great tool to help the service providers and the veterans find the help they need,” said McQuaid.
Phoenix has been singled out by the Obama Administration as a model for its work in cutting its number of homeless veterans.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets