PHOENIX — About 1 in 5 homeless people on Phoenix streets are veterans.
“It’s not right to have anybody who served this nation living on the streets,” said Mike McQuaid with the Human Services Campus.
McQuaid’s facility shelters about 1,100 people each day, many of whom are veterans.
McQuaid said he has one goal and believes it is within reach: “We will end chronic homelessness in Phoenix within the next 12 months,” he said.
McQuaid said the strategy is no longer simply getting veterans off the street and into a shelter.
“The thinking used to be that you had to get the homeless veterans clean, sober, mentally stable before you got them into housing,” he said. “Almost never did that happen in the shelter or on the streets.
“Now we’re taking the individual and putting them into housing with support services wrapped around them and then 85 percent of the chronically homeless will stay in that housing.”
A new Maricopa County website should help in achieving that goal.
“A lot of the time, the communication as to where there are resources and benefits along with housing and employment opportunities is lacking so this website should be a great tool to help the service providers and the veterans find the help they need,” said McQuaid.
Phoenix has been singled out by the Obama Administration as a model for its work in cutting its number of homeless veterans.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier