PHOENIX — Soldiers and their families at Luke Air Force Base had a little treat Tuesday, when several Arizona Cardinals players held a meet-and-greet at the base.
Sam Acho, Karlos Dansby, Andre Roberts, Mike Gibson, Lyle Sendlein, Daryn Colledge and Jonathan Cooper got an up-close look at F-16 aircraft and a hangar, and then posed for pictures and autographs.
Texas fan Sgt. Ryan Gonzalez was especially happy to meet Sendlein, a former Longhorn star player.
“We talked a little bit about the national championship in 2005 and the one that got away in 2009,” Gonzalez said. “Hopefully, the Longhorns will go to the Fiesta Bowl this year. If they do, I will be there.”
The tour was special for wide receiver Roberts.
“Both of my parents are in the Army, and I went to the Citadel, which is a military school,” Roberts said. “I know a whole bunch of guys who are fighting for this country as well. To come out here and support these guys, it means a lot to me.”
Dansby, a linebacker, said he jumped at the chance to come out on the players’ day off to show their support for the military.
“The sacrifices that these guys are making just for our freedom and the preparation that they have to go through in training…it’s perfect,” Dansby remarked.
Dansby said football players have something in common with the soldiers. He said that, just like playing for the Cardinals, keeping an F-16 in the air takes teamwork.
“You have to be on the same page and your communication has to be on point,” Dansby said. “You can’t make a mistake, man.”
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food