PHOENIX — A man was charged with first-degree murder Tuesday in the disappearance of his 78-year-old grandmother.
Jason Howell was the primary suspect in the disappearance of Helen Jean Lee, who was reported missing last week. A body found in the desert was confirmed to be that of Lee on Monday.
Police said Lee had a skull fracture the size of a baseball and her throat was cut from ear to ear.
Police found a bloody crime scene inside Lee’s home after her family asked police to perform a welfare check.
The body was discovered in roughly the same area where police previously indicated they found evidence related to the woman’s disappearance. Howell’s cell phone was located in the area of the body as police attempted to contact him.
The same day Lee was reported missing, her grandson was arrested on multiple charges, including assaulting a police officer and kidnapping. Howell remained jailed Monday on $300,000 bond.
Chandler police said Howell stole an SUV that was idling outside an elementary school. A 12-year-old girl who was in the backseat managed to escape the moving vehicle and suffered minor injuries, according to a police report. Howell then led police on a chase that ended after he rammed an officer’s patrol car, the report states.
He was arrested after first telling police to “shoot him,” according to the report.
Detectives said Howell told police he was drunk and high on methamphetamine. A report also said that Howell admitted to killing his grandmother because she charged him too much rent, had strict curfew rules and broke the garage door.
It wasn’t clear if Howell had been appointed an attorney. He is set for a court appearance Thursday.
Howell was charged with first-degree murder, hindering prosecution and abandoning a body. He also has charges pending from the alleged car theft.
Police said they had prior contact with Howell and were aware he was prescribed medicine for schizophrenia.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck