PHOENIX — Phoenix Sky Harbor is planning to keep pace with influx of international travelers by possibly reworking an area of the airport.
Deputy Aviation Director Deborah Oestreicher said the rise in international travelers is reason enough for the airport to work on a plan to improve the international arrival area.
“As soon as you get off an international flight, you go into an area that you’re still technically not in the United States,” she said. “This is where they check your passport. And then moving on toward the baggage claim area, as we get more flights and more passengers coming through, we want to make sure it’s easy and efficient to pick up your bags because, from there, you then go through an area where they check to see what you’re brining into the country.”
Six airlines currently offer international service through seven gates at Terminal 4.
“We are always working on international air service,” she said. “It’s very important to this community. We have the passengers here looking to fly non-stop to international destinations and we have people around the world that want to come here to the Valley, not only for business, but for leisure time.”
Oestreicher said the airport will present its improvement plan to city council members. If they approve, the airport will put out a request for proposals.
The upgrades are estimated at $27 million and would be paid with passenger user fees.
In 2012, Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport welcomed 2.2 million international passengers. By 2030, the airport expects to serve 4.4 million international passengers.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon