PHOENIX — Phoenix Sky Harbor is planning to keep pace with influx of international travelers by possibly reworking an area of the airport.
Deputy Aviation Director Deborah Oestreicher said the rise in international travelers is reason enough for the airport to work on a plan to improve the international arrival area.
“As soon as you get off an international flight, you go into an area that you’re still technically not in the United States,” she said. “This is where they check your passport. And then moving on toward the baggage claim area, as we get more flights and more passengers coming through, we want to make sure it’s easy and efficient to pick up your bags because, from there, you then go through an area where they check to see what you’re brining into the country.”
Six airlines currently offer international service through seven gates at Terminal 4.
“We are always working on international air service,” she said. “It’s very important to this community. We have the passengers here looking to fly non-stop to international destinations and we have people around the world that want to come here to the Valley, not only for business, but for leisure time.”
Oestreicher said the airport will present its improvement plan to city council members. If they approve, the airport will put out a request for proposals.
The upgrades are estimated at $27 million and would be paid with passenger user fees.
In 2012, Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport welcomed 2.2 million international passengers. By 2030, the airport expects to serve 4.4 million international passengers.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier