PHOENIX — The nation’s highest court will hear arguments Wednesday in a case involving prayers before public meetings.
The lawsuit, filed in 2008, involves a town council in Greece, New York. For years, the council has opened meetings with Christian prayers. Two women who complained say they were told to either leave the room or just not listen.
The case has now made its way to the U.S. Supreme Court.
During the Arizona legislative session, a daily prayer is read after roll call in the House and Senate. Lawmakers take turns leading prayers and sometimes invite others to do it. While Jewish, Native American and Muslim prayers have been read, Christianity is the most common. That’s not a problem for Josh Kredit, legal counsel for the Center for Arizona Policy.
“They did it before drafting the Constitution. Congress has done it since it began,” he said. “I just think it’s really important that we seek higher guidance before conducting this important business.”
During her U.S. Supreme Court service, Arizona native Sandra Day O’Connor supported the so-called “endorsement” test which pushed for government to be neutral and not appear to endorse religion. Some conservative groups hope that O’Connor’s replacement, Justice Samuel Alito, will be more accommodating and allow cities, counties and states to promote religion as long as no one is forced to participate.
A ruling in Town of Greece v. Galloway is expected next June.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food