GOODYEAR, Ariz. — In partnership with Operation Homefront, Meritage Homes handed off the keys to a brand new mortgage-free home in Goodyear to Army Sgt. Richard Neider and his family Monday.
The 2,300-square-foot home includes features such as wider doors, roll-in showers, roll-under sinks and lower light switches that will allow Neider to use his wheelchair inside of the home. It is located in Meritage’s Del Mar at Sedella community near Indian School and Citrus Road.
When the door first opened, Neider’s eyes welled up with tears followed by an ear-to-ear smile.
“It opened up my world again and my family’s world,” he said. “It’s just unbelievable. I can’t thank them enough for everything after seeing how beautiful this home is. They’ve put it all out there for us.”
Neider’s wife, Kerry, said owning a home was put aside for the family when his injuries began to get worse.
“We didn’t have a set time on being able to get a new home,” she said. “This is a dream come true.”
Meritage also provided mortgage-free homes to military families in San Antonio, TX and Raleigh, N.C.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.