PHOENIX — Baggage scales at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport were not up to par during a recent inspection, a report by the Arizona Department of Weights and Measures said.
“[It was a] subpar performance all around,” said Shawn Marquez with the department. “We check about 196 scales and of those we found 57 violations.”
Marquez said those violations ranged from broken digital displays to scale errors.
“Scales that wouldn’t start on zero,” said. “They were already showing a number, so to speak, on there with no weight on there.”
Marquez said the inspection also caught fives scales that someone had likely tried to fix.
“We actually found wood underneath the scales in between the load cells and the platforms,” he said. “I think they were doing this to try to level it out a little bit.”
The affected scales were immediately removed from service.
“When we find scale programs that are detrimental to the consumer, we lock the scales down right there at the moment,” said Marquez.
The airlines that had scale issues were American, Delta, United, Southwest and US Airways. All others passed.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development