PHOENIX — Baggage scales at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport were not up to par during a recent inspection, a report by the Arizona Department of Weights and Measures said.
“[It was a] subpar performance all around,” said Shawn Marquez with the department. “We check about 196 scales and of those we found 57 violations.”
Marquez said those violations ranged from broken digital displays to scale errors.
“Scales that wouldn’t start on zero,” said. “They were already showing a number, so to speak, on there with no weight on there.”
Marquez said the inspection also caught fives scales that someone had likely tried to fix.
“We actually found wood underneath the scales in between the load cells and the platforms,” he said. “I think they were doing this to try to level it out a little bit.”
The affected scales were immediately removed from service.
“When we find scale programs that are detrimental to the consumer, we lock the scales down right there at the moment,” said Marquez.
The airlines that had scale issues were American, Delta, United, Southwest and US Airways. All others passed.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.