PHOENIX — Baggage scales at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport were not up to par during a recent inspection, a report by the Arizona Department of Weights and Measures said.
“[It was a] subpar performance all around,” said Shawn Marquez with the department. “We check about 196 scales and of those we found 57 violations.”
Marquez said those violations ranged from broken digital displays to scale errors.
“Scales that wouldn’t start on zero,” said. “They were already showing a number, so to speak, on there with no weight on there.”
Marquez said the inspection also caught fives scales that someone had likely tried to fix.
“We actually found wood underneath the scales in between the load cells and the platforms,” he said. “I think they were doing this to try to level it out a little bit.”
The affected scales were immediately removed from service.
“When we find scale programs that are detrimental to the consumer, we lock the scales down right there at the moment,” said Marquez.
The airlines that had scale issues were American, Delta, United, Southwest and US Airways. All others passed.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets