PHOENIX — With the heart of the flu season coming up, a state health official said it’s critical for pregnant women and new mothers to get a flu shot.
Dr. Karen Lewis with the Arizona Department of Health Services said flu shots do not pose a threat to pregnancies.
“If they get their flu shot during pregnancy they will pass on the antibody protection to infants,” she said.
The Centers for Disease Control said flu is five times more likely to cause severe illness in pregnant women than in women who are not pregnant.
“Because the immune system has changed because of the pregnancy and their lung volume is not as large because the baby is pushing up against their lungs,” Lewis said.
The flu also increases the risk of premature labor and delivery.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever