PHOENIX — As the voice of the Count Basie Orchestra from 1977 to 1983, Dennis Rowland shared the stage with Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughan and Tony Bennett.
But late last year, a near fatal stroke and cerebral hemorrhage prevented him from singing. As Rowland continues therapy to return to the stage, his medical bills are piling up. That’s why his fans, friends and family have organized a benefit concert.
The concert will take place Wednesday at Herberger Theatre in downtown Phoenix and feature national and local musicians. Rowland is scheduled to appear briefly on stage with his friends.
Through a promotional video, they sing his praises as a musician and a community member. Over the past 25 years, the Grammy-nominated vocalist has donated his performances to countless Arizona charities and mentored many children.
More details about the benefit are available here.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development