PHOENIX — As the voice of the Count Basie Orchestra from 1977 to 1983, Dennis Rowland shared the stage with Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughan and Tony Bennett.
But late last year, a near fatal stroke and cerebral hemorrhage prevented him from singing. As Rowland continues therapy to return to the stage, his medical bills are piling up. That’s why his fans, friends and family have organized a benefit concert.
The concert will take place Wednesday at Herberger Theatre in downtown Phoenix and feature national and local musicians. Rowland is scheduled to appear briefly on stage with his friends.
Through a promotional video, they sing his praises as a musician and a community member. Over the past 25 years, the Grammy-nominated vocalist has donated his performances to countless Arizona charities and mentored many children.
More details about the benefit are available here.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night