PHOENIX — A Valley rescue mission is getting ready for more possible customers because 47 million Americans began receiving fewer food stamps Friday.
In 2009, Congress passed a temporary financial boost to a nutrition program. That increased funding expired Friday and there’s no sign that Congress will continue it, meaning millions of Americans are about to get fewer food stamps. For example, a family of four that received around $660 per month in food stamps will now get about $36 per month less.
Workers at the Phoenix Rescue Mission believe more people will come looking for help because of the cut.
“We have really prepared for about a 10 percent increase,” said Nicole Pena, the mission’s director of community outreach.
Pena said the mission knew this day was coming and workers been preparing for a while.
“We’ve been able to work with our private sector partners to get more food and really stock our shelves,” she said. “We feel like we’re ready.”
Pena said if the mission sees a 20 percent or more increase in people needing help, it will start to feel the pinch.
For more information on the Phoenix Rescue Mission, click here or call (602) 233-3000.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them