PHOENIX — A Valley rescue mission is getting ready for more possible customers because 47 million Americans began receiving fewer food stamps Friday.
In 2009, Congress passed a temporary financial boost to a nutrition program. That increased funding expired Friday and there’s no sign that Congress will continue it, meaning millions of Americans are about to get fewer food stamps. For example, a family of four that received around $660 per month in food stamps will now get about $36 per month less.
Workers at the Phoenix Rescue Mission believe more people will come looking for help because of the cut.
“We have really prepared for about a 10 percent increase,” said Nicole Pena, the mission’s director of community outreach.
Pena said the mission knew this day was coming and workers been preparing for a while.
“We’ve been able to work with our private sector partners to get more food and really stock our shelves,” she said. “We feel like we’re ready.”
Pena said if the mission sees a 20 percent or more increase in people needing help, it will start to feel the pinch.
For more information on the Phoenix Rescue Mission, click here or call (602) 233-3000.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier