PHOENIX — A man who knows something about fighting crime wants to help parents keep their teens safe from online child predators.
“America’s Most Wanted” host John Walsh is traveling the country pushing for safety when it comes to teens and social media and will be at Sky Junior High in Phoenix on Saturday as part of a program called “Parent University.”
He will talk to parents and kids about alarming statistics about online child predators.
“We’re going to talk to them about bullying, sexting and people who go online and get all kinds of information that can hurt that child,” Walsh said.
He said teens who check in somewhere, such as a mall or a movie theater, are putting themselves and their friends at risk.
“Forty percent of teens check in when they go somewhere, and they’re letting everyone, via social media, know where they are,” Walsh said. “Sixty percent say a friend will check them in somewhere and let everyone know where they are.”
The study, conducted by the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, as well as Cox Communications, said that 31 percent of teens from Arizona have met up with someone they’ve met online. Walsh said although that’s far below the national average of 50 percent, it’s still too high.
He said one of the quickest solutions should be for parents to require their child add them on every social media account. The study shows 60 percent of Arizona teens said their parents have done nothing to monitor what they post online.
“Parent up — you need to be talking to your kids,” Walsh said. “These kids can be lured in, and make mistakes on the internet. You’re supposed to be their parent. You’re supposed to make them safe.”
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food