PHOENIX — The Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office is investigating an accident that killed one driver at 83rd Avenue and Buckeye Road on Thursday and left another driver injured.
Chandler resident Mark Jones, 44, was driving east on Buckeye Road in his 2007 Chevy half-ton pickup, when he was struck by a 1998 Nissan Maxima.
Jones was attempting to turn left into a QT parking lot in order to beat oncoming traffic.
Jones was pronounced dead at the scene, while the driver of the Maxima was taken to a hospital with moderate, but not life-threatening, injuries.
Speed is currently unknown, but no impairment is suspected.
At this time, it is doubtful that the driver of the second vehicle will face criminal charges.
Buckeye Road at 83rd Ave will remain closed for awhile as the investigation continues.
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains