PHOENIX — Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport has a decision to make.
Now that the airport has been given the go-ahead with the plans to improve Terminal 3, the future of Terminal 2 remains up in the air.
Sky Harbor only has three terminals remaining – 2,3, and 4 – after Terminal 1 was closed several years ago. But now, Terminal 2’s days may be numbered.
“It is very old. It was opened in 1962,” said Phoenix Aviation Department Spokeswoman Deb Ostreicher. “It really just can’t sustain for what we need for this airport to serve this community the way they expect to be [served].”
The Phoenix City Council voted this week to go ahead with plans to modernize Terminal 3 by improving concessions and security checkpoints. Airlines that serve Terminal 2 would now be moved to the “modernized” Terminal 3.
What happens with Terminal 2 after that is anyone’s guess.
“We don’t have any plan right now for Terminal 2,” Ostreicher said. “Our plan is to modernize Terminal 3.”
Ostreicher added that construction could be years away for Terminal 3 improvements, meaning it will be business as usual in Terminal 2 for some time to come.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon