PHOENIX — Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport has a decision to make.
Now that the airport has been given the go-ahead with the plans to improve Terminal 3, the future of Terminal 2 remains up in the air.
Sky Harbor only has three terminals remaining – 2,3, and 4 – after Terminal 1 was closed several years ago. But now, Terminal 2’s days may be numbered.
“It is very old. It was opened in 1962,” said Phoenix Aviation Department Spokeswoman Deb Ostreicher. “It really just can’t sustain for what we need for this airport to serve this community the way they expect to be [served].”
The Phoenix City Council voted this week to go ahead with plans to modernize Terminal 3 by improving concessions and security checkpoints. Airlines that serve Terminal 2 would now be moved to the “modernized” Terminal 3.
What happens with Terminal 2 after that is anyone’s guess.
“We don’t have any plan right now for Terminal 2,” Ostreicher said. “Our plan is to modernize Terminal 3.”
Ostreicher added that construction could be years away for Terminal 3 improvements, meaning it will be business as usual in Terminal 2 for some time to come.
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee