PHOENIX — Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport has a decision to make.
Now that the airport has been given the go-ahead with the plans to improve Terminal 3, the future of Terminal 2 remains up in the air.
Sky Harbor only has three terminals remaining – 2,3, and 4 – after Terminal 1 was closed several years ago. But now, Terminal 2’s days may be numbered.
“It is very old. It was opened in 1962,” said Phoenix Aviation Department Spokeswoman Deb Ostreicher. “It really just can’t sustain for what we need for this airport to serve this community the way they expect to be [served].”
The Phoenix City Council voted this week to go ahead with plans to modernize Terminal 3 by improving concessions and security checkpoints. Airlines that serve Terminal 2 would now be moved to the “modernized” Terminal 3.
What happens with Terminal 2 after that is anyone’s guess.
“We don’t have any plan right now for Terminal 2,” Ostreicher said. “Our plan is to modernize Terminal 3.”
Ostreicher added that construction could be years away for Terminal 3 improvements, meaning it will be business as usual in Terminal 2 for some time to come.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night