PHOENIX — Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport has a decision to make.
Now that the airport has been given the go-ahead with the plans to improve Terminal 3, the future of Terminal 2 remains up in the air.
Sky Harbor only has three terminals remaining – 2,3, and 4 – after Terminal 1 was closed several years ago. But now, Terminal 2’s days may be numbered.
“It is very old. It was opened in 1962,” said Phoenix Aviation Department Spokeswoman Deb Ostreicher. “It really just can’t sustain for what we need for this airport to serve this community the way they expect to be [served].”
The Phoenix City Council voted this week to go ahead with plans to modernize Terminal 3 by improving concessions and security checkpoints. Airlines that serve Terminal 2 would now be moved to the “modernized” Terminal 3.
What happens with Terminal 2 after that is anyone’s guess.
“We don’t have any plan right now for Terminal 2,” Ostreicher said. “Our plan is to modernize Terminal 3.”
Ostreicher added that construction could be years away for Terminal 3 improvements, meaning it will be business as usual in Terminal 2 for some time to come.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments