PHOENIX — The fight over pension spiking in the City of Phoenix may not be over, even after the Phoenix City Council changed its mind on a measure that it rejected last week.
The council voted 5-4 on Thursday to approve a plan that supporters say would end pension spiking by city employees by next July.
Not everyone agrees.
“It doesn’t end it by July 2014,” said Phoenix City Councilman Sal DiCiccio, who voted against the plan. “It only talks about the pensionability for car allowance and phone allowance, and that’s pretty much it.”
DiCiccio said that’s not enough.
“If you really wanted to end the spiking, you would stop the deferred compensation spiking, you would stop the vacation and sick leave accruals…some people have over two to three thousand hours when they retire,” he said. “That’s what creates the spiking.”
DiCiccio wants the public to decide the issue.
“There’s already been a citizen’s iniative moving forward. It was filed about a week or so ago,” said DiCiccio. “It’s going to move the City of Phoenix to a 401K plan, just like the private sector. That’s going to stop the pension spiking.”
DiCiccio said it’s a shame that stopping pension spiking has had to come to this.
“It’s obvious that this council can’t do it, and the politicians won’t do it, because they’re beholden to the unions. The citizens are going to have to do this on their own,” DiCiccio remarked.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick