PHOENIX — An SUV forced off the road during a police chase slammed into a power transformer early Thursday morning, causing a blackout in a north central neighborhood.
No injuries were reported and a man suspected of car theft is in custody. Lights were out from 14th to 16th streets and about a half-mile at Northern Avenue in each direction as the commuter rush hour got underway.
Police said a man reported his truck stolen from a convenience store near 12th Street and Maryland Avenue. The witness said two men took his news Silverado. Officers caught up with the truck and tried to get the driver to pull over but he refused.
Shortly thereafter the truck collided with an SUV near 14th and Northern, sending the SUV up a curb and into the power box.
The suspects abandoned the truck on 15th Street. One suspect is still at large.
About 1,000 APS customers were without power but that dropped to 265 before 9:30 a.m.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development