PHOENIX — The pension spiking issue in Phoenix isn’t dead yet.
Pension spiking is a term used to describe a process where Phoenix City employees can include unused sick leave and vacation time to boost their pension.
The Phoenix City Council voted 5-4 last week to reject a plan that would have ended pension spiking by July 2014. After the vote was taken, Mayor Greg Stanton said, “I assume we’ll be seeing this issue again soon.”
Today’s the day.
The city council will meet at 10 a.m. to re-vote on the proposal. Stanton said he scheduled today’s meeting after four of the nine council members filed a motion for reconsideration.
Two council members were part of the group that voted to support the proposal.
“That was Councilwoman (Thelda) Williams and Councilman (Tom) Simplot,” said Stanton. “(The other) two supported a different policy or plan. That was Councilman (Jim) Waring and Councilman (Sal) DiCiccio. All four asked me to get this back on the agenda as soon as possible.”
Stanton said he was legally obligated to schedule a meeting at the earliest possible date.
“We’ll be here on Halloween,” he said.
The Mayor said it’s possible that some council members may change their votes.
“Some may feel that this plan is better than nothing…They may feel this isn’t the perfect plan, but they may feel that this is a good plan,” Stanton said. “I feel it’s the right plan.”
Stanton was in the minority when he voted in favor of the plan last week.
When asked whether he and the city council are rushing the vote to make it look like they’re doing something about pension spiking before next week’s city election, Stanton replied “I can’t speak to that issue.”
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.