PHOENIX — The pension spiking issue in Phoenix isn’t dead yet.
Pension spiking is a term used to describe a process where Phoenix City employees can include unused sick leave and vacation time to boost their pension.
The Phoenix City Council voted 5-4 last week to reject a plan that would have ended pension spiking by July 2014. After the vote was taken, Mayor Greg Stanton said, “I assume we’ll be seeing this issue again soon.”
Today’s the day.
The city council will meet at 10 a.m. to re-vote on the proposal. Stanton said he scheduled today’s meeting after four of the nine council members filed a motion for reconsideration.
Two council members were part of the group that voted to support the proposal.
“That was Councilwoman (Thelda) Williams and Councilman (Tom) Simplot,” said Stanton. “(The other) two supported a different policy or plan. That was Councilman (Jim) Waring and Councilman (Sal) DiCiccio. All four asked me to get this back on the agenda as soon as possible.”
Stanton said he was legally obligated to schedule a meeting at the earliest possible date.
“We’ll be here on Halloween,” he said.
The Mayor said it’s possible that some council members may change their votes.
“Some may feel that this plan is better than nothing…They may feel this isn’t the perfect plan, but they may feel that this is a good plan,” Stanton said. “I feel it’s the right plan.”
Stanton was in the minority when he voted in favor of the plan last week.
When asked whether he and the city council are rushing the vote to make it look like they’re doing something about pension spiking before next week’s city election, Stanton replied “I can’t speak to that issue.”
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick