PHOENIX — The Coconino County Sheriff’s Office is changing the way inmates interact with visitors.
They can now interact via video.
The new web-based program will take the place of the current face-to-face system used at the Coconino County Jail.
“People can visit and talk to their loved ones over a video screen and never have to enter the facility,” said spokesman Gerry Blair. “The less movement, the less entry into the facility, the more secure the facility remains.”
But Blair said safety isn’t the only reason for the change.
“There’s a significant benefit for inmates who don’t have friends or family in close proximity of the facility,” he said. “It allows inmates to visit with loved ones wherever they might be.”
There is a charge to use the video system. A portion of the money will be used to pay for the new program and another portion will go to a special fund that provides services to the inmates.
For more information, click here.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier