PHOENIX — The Coconino County Sheriff’s Office is changing the way inmates interact with visitors.
They can now interact via video.
The new web-based program will take the place of the current face-to-face system used at the Coconino County Jail.
“People can visit and talk to their loved ones over a video screen and never have to enter the facility,” said spokesman Gerry Blair. “The less movement, the less entry into the facility, the more secure the facility remains.”
But Blair said safety isn’t the only reason for the change.
“There’s a significant benefit for inmates who don’t have friends or family in close proximity of the facility,” he said. “It allows inmates to visit with loved ones wherever they might be.”
There is a charge to use the video system. A portion of the money will be used to pay for the new program and another portion will go to a special fund that provides services to the inmates.
For more information, click here.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them