PHOENIX — The Coconino County Sheriff’s Office is changing the way inmates interact with visitors.
They can now interact via video.
The new web-based program will take the place of the current face-to-face system used at the Coconino County Jail.
“People can visit and talk to their loved ones over a video screen and never have to enter the facility,” said spokesman Gerry Blair. “The less movement, the less entry into the facility, the more secure the facility remains.”
But Blair said safety isn’t the only reason for the change.
“There’s a significant benefit for inmates who don’t have friends or family in close proximity of the facility,” he said. “It allows inmates to visit with loved ones wherever they might be.”
There is a charge to use the video system. A portion of the money will be used to pay for the new program and another portion will go to a special fund that provides services to the inmates.
For more information, click here.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development