PHOENIX — The contentious battle over who will represent District 8 on the Phoenix City Council continues.
Leaders in the African-American community are rallying voters to support diversity in the district’s Nov. 5 runoff elections.
Demanding representational equality and speaking out against “regressive anti-diversity effort to deny black Phoenicians a seat at the City’s political table,” a large group of Pastor Warren Stewart supporters addressed the media on the steps of the Calvin C. Goode Municipal Building in downtown Phoenix.
Goode, who served over 20 years on the City Council, was at the rally reminding voters that the election could undo 47 years of hard-fought progress and put into question the city’s commitment to political leadership diversity.
“At the present time, I think they have five whites, two Hispanics. You ought to have more diversity in this city and certainly one out of eight is not too many,” said Goode, who is referring to the current District 8 leader, Michael Johnson, who has termed out.
The group is taking aim at front-runner Kate Gallego, making claims that she is disconnected from the African-American and Latino residents who live in the South Phoenix area. Activist Jarrett Maupin said the group is also concerned that she’s only lived in the district for six months.
“When we created the district system, we sort of said District 8 would be for the African Americans. I believe strongly in representation and we are being threatened and shut out,” said Goode.
Gallego’s campaign manager, Lisa Fernandez, said Gallego has been living in the district for longer than six months.
If a non-black candidate were to win the election, it would be the first time in nearly 50 years District 8 would not have an African American representing that community.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them