PHOENIX — The bus stops in a west Phoenix neighborhood are now the most creative bus stops in the Valley.
Decorative and functional, the 10 shelters long 67th Avenue from McDowell to Camelback roads, the fancy metal works are Leticia Huerta’s babies.
She designed the metal panels, which were made by Southwest Fabrication. Huerta came up with the design symbolizing the Mexican Bird of Paradise plant.
“It’s an honor and always exciting to complete a project. I’m happy and proud of this project,” Huerta said.
She said she met with residents about their concerns over dramatic changes in the area. That led her to choosing the the Mexican Bird of Paradise, even though the “flower is not native but you see it everywhere and it means a lot to the community.”
The project cost about $150,000 and was paid for with city funds set aside for art.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier