PHOENIX — The bus stops in a west Phoenix neighborhood are now the most creative bus stops in the Valley.
Decorative and functional, the 10 shelters long 67th Avenue from McDowell to Camelback roads, the fancy metal works are Leticia Huerta’s babies.
She designed the metal panels, which were made by Southwest Fabrication. Huerta came up with the design symbolizing the Mexican Bird of Paradise plant.
“It’s an honor and always exciting to complete a project. I’m happy and proud of this project,” Huerta said.
She said she met with residents about their concerns over dramatic changes in the area. That led her to choosing the the Mexican Bird of Paradise, even though the “flower is not native but you see it everywhere and it means a lot to the community.”
The project cost about $150,000 and was paid for with city funds set aside for art.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night