PHOENIX — An hourlong police pursuit Wednesday of a burglary suspect through the streets of Phoenix ended with a car crash and a foot chase near Seventh and Maryland avenues.
Two people were arrested and the occupants of a white vehicle that was hit were taken to a hospital.
The female driver of the SUV started out slowly, even following some traffic laws. A male could be seen sitting in the back seat in TV footage. Police dropped back from their chase, monitoring the driver’s progress from a helicopter.
The chase began near the Deer Valley Airport at Seventh Avenue and Deer Valley, through the Arcadia neighborhood in east Phoenix, downtown, near Tempe, mostly staying on the streets.
Through the majority of the chase, the driver managed to avoid hitting other cars, despite turning left in front of a light rail train and cutting through parking lots.
At one point, when she was caught in slow-moving traffic, she drove on a sidewalk for several feet.
The driver finally hit her first vehicle in traffic in the area of 16th Street and Camelback Road.
Minutes later the woman crashed the SUV into a tree after a police vehicle hemmed her in on the street. She ran from the car but was tackled and captured after a brief chase.
Phoenix police said the two remain hospitalized with undisclosed injuries and
will be booked into jail after they’re released. Their names weren’t immediately
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas