PHOENIX — An hourlong police pursuit Wednesday of a burglary suspect through the streets of Phoenix ended with a car crash and a foot chase near Seventh and Maryland avenues.
Two people were arrested and the occupants of a white vehicle that was hit were taken to a hospital.
The female driver of the SUV started out slowly, even following some traffic laws. A male could be seen sitting in the back seat in TV footage. Police dropped back from their chase, monitoring the driver’s progress from a helicopter.
The chase began near the Deer Valley Airport at Seventh Avenue and Deer Valley, through the Arcadia neighborhood in east Phoenix, downtown, near Tempe, mostly staying on the streets.
Through the majority of the chase, the driver managed to avoid hitting other cars, despite turning left in front of a light rail train and cutting through parking lots.
At one point, when she was caught in slow-moving traffic, she drove on a sidewalk for several feet.
The driver finally hit her first vehicle in traffic in the area of 16th Street and Camelback Road.
Minutes later the woman crashed the SUV into a tree after a police vehicle hemmed her in on the street. She ran from the car but was tackled and captured after a brief chase.
Phoenix police said the two remain hospitalized with undisclosed injuries and
will be booked into jail after they’re released. Their names weren’t immediately
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development