PHOENIX — An hourlong police pursuit Wednesday of a burglary suspect through the streets of Phoenix ended with a car crash and a foot chase near Seventh and Maryland avenues.
Two people were arrested and the occupants of a white vehicle that was hit were taken to a hospital.
The female driver of the SUV started out slowly, even following some traffic laws. A male could be seen sitting in the back seat in TV footage. Police dropped back from their chase, monitoring the driver’s progress from a helicopter.
The chase began near the Deer Valley Airport at Seventh Avenue and Deer Valley, through the Arcadia neighborhood in east Phoenix, downtown, near Tempe, mostly staying on the streets.
Through the majority of the chase, the driver managed to avoid hitting other cars, despite turning left in front of a light rail train and cutting through parking lots.
At one point, when she was caught in slow-moving traffic, she drove on a sidewalk for several feet.
The driver finally hit her first vehicle in traffic in the area of 16th Street and Camelback Road.
Minutes later the woman crashed the SUV into a tree after a police vehicle hemmed her in on the street. She ran from the car but was tackled and captured after a brief chase.
Phoenix police said the two remain hospitalized with undisclosed injuries and
will be booked into jail after they’re released. Their names weren’t immediately
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick