SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — Homeowners who want to know how much their home is worth are clicking right to Zillow.
“Zillow has done a great job of branding themselves as the go-to place,” said Valley real estate expert Dean Wegner. “If you want to know value, the word ‘Zillow’ is synonymous with checking your home’s value.”
Wegner said that Zillow’s estimates of your home’s value, which it calls “Zestimates,” are extremely accurate, even though the Zillow is a “lagging index,” meaning that the data is going to be 30 to 90 days old.
Wegner recently put Zillow to the test.
“We looked at five Zestimates and five appraisals that had just happened within the last five days. These were values before Zillow was able to digest the public records information,” Wegner explained. “What we found was that Zillow was about 99 percent accurate in all of those cases.”
Another Valley realtor, who wanted to remain anonymous, disagrees with Wegner, saying that Zillow is not accurate.
She was contacted after it was noticed that a house she has listed for sale is priced at $23,000 more than the Zestimate. The realtor told us that Zillow does not take into account the condition of the house, such as whether it is in bad shape or has had several upgrades.
Wegner says that Zillow is a good way to find your home’s value, but there are other things to take into account when deciding the selling price of your house.
“I look at the Zestimate, and then I look at homes that are currently under contract in the neighborhood,” Wegner said. “Then I can see that if your same floor plan is under contract at a much higher amount, I know that we can push it another two to five percent above that.”
Wegner says he checks home values on Zillow several times a day.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths