PHOENIX — A boy was arrested Tuesday on suspicion of setting fire to a Phoenix grocery store, the Phoenix Fire Department said.
The suspect is under 18 and has not been identified.
The fire was set about 10 p.m. at the Fry’s Food Store near 32nd Street and Thomas Road.
“It was quickly brought under control, not only by the sprinkler system inside the building, which we supported, but also the fire crews actually being there, being able to snuff it out,” said Phoenix Fire Department Capt. Jonathan Jacobs.
Phoenix Fire said it received tips on the suspect from Silent Witness. Calls began coming in during early Tuesday morning.
“That really helped investigators quite a bit and pushed them towards finding these people and interviewing them and being able to make an arrest,” said Jacobs, adding the department is not investigating anyone else.
Jacobs said the department was concerned because of the audacity of the crime and wanted to wrap the case up quickly.
The suspect, along with two other people who were involved with the crime, could face additional charges. The other two people are not being charged with arson.
Jacobs said the grocery store was cleaned and reopened.
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain