PHOENIX — A boy was arrested Tuesday on suspicion of setting fire to a Phoenix grocery store, the Phoenix Fire Department said.
The suspect is under 18 and has not been identified.
The fire was set about 10 p.m. at the Fry’s Food Store near 32nd Street and Thomas Road.
“It was quickly brought under control, not only by the sprinkler system inside the building, which we supported, but also the fire crews actually being there, being able to snuff it out,” said Phoenix Fire Department Capt. Jonathan Jacobs.
Phoenix Fire said it received tips on the suspect from Silent Witness. Calls began coming in during early Tuesday morning.
“That really helped investigators quite a bit and pushed them towards finding these people and interviewing them and being able to make an arrest,” said Jacobs, adding the department is not investigating anyone else.
Jacobs said the department was concerned because of the audacity of the crime and wanted to wrap the case up quickly.
The suspect, along with two other people who were involved with the crime, could face additional charges. The other two people are not being charged with arson.
Jacobs said the grocery store was cleaned and reopened.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon