PHOENIX — A boy was arrested Tuesday on suspicion of setting fire to a Phoenix grocery store, the Phoenix Fire Department said.
The suspect is under 18 and has not been identified.
The fire was set about 10 p.m. at the Fry’s Food Store near 32nd Street and Thomas Road.
“It was quickly brought under control, not only by the sprinkler system inside the building, which we supported, but also the fire crews actually being there, being able to snuff it out,” said Phoenix Fire Department Capt. Jonathan Jacobs.
Phoenix Fire said it received tips on the suspect from Silent Witness. Calls began coming in during early Tuesday morning.
“That really helped investigators quite a bit and pushed them towards finding these people and interviewing them and being able to make an arrest,” said Jacobs, adding the department is not investigating anyone else.
Jacobs said the department was concerned because of the audacity of the crime and wanted to wrap the case up quickly.
The suspect, along with two other people who were involved with the crime, could face additional charges. The other two people are not being charged with arson.
Jacobs said the grocery store was cleaned and reopened.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier