PHOENIX — A group of nurses is petitioning the Arizona Department of Health Services to add Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder to the list of conditions that can be treated with medical marijuana.
At a hearing Tuesday in Phoenix, the group’s president Heather Manus told an ADHS panel that marijuana can help veterans, sexual assault victims and others who suffer from PTSD.
“It really deals with the memories they have,” she said. “It helps them to sleep, it does away with flashbacks, it helps them to live a better quality of life, so that they can be comfortable and do the things that they’re used to doing.”
Manus said medical marijuana is already being allowed to treat PTSD in New Mexico and is working wonders.
“When they’re on other pharmaceuticals, they sometimes become homebound and they’re unable to drive or they get afraid to leave their home,” she said. “With cannabis, it seems to take care of those things.”
The health department said it will rule on whether to use medical marijuana to treat PTSD in December. Manus said if it isn’t approved, the Nurses’ Association will take the health department to court.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick