PHOENIX — A group of nurses is petitioning the Arizona Department of Health Services to add Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder to the list of conditions that can be treated with medical marijuana.
At a hearing Tuesday in Phoenix, the group’s president Heather Manus told an ADHS panel that marijuana can help veterans, sexual assault victims and others who suffer from PTSD.
“It really deals with the memories they have,” she said. “It helps them to sleep, it does away with flashbacks, it helps them to live a better quality of life, so that they can be comfortable and do the things that they’re used to doing.”
Manus said medical marijuana is already being allowed to treat PTSD in New Mexico and is working wonders.
“When they’re on other pharmaceuticals, they sometimes become homebound and they’re unable to drive or they get afraid to leave their home,” she said. “With cannabis, it seems to take care of those things.”
The health department said it will rule on whether to use medical marijuana to treat PTSD in December. Manus said if it isn’t approved, the Nurses’ Association will take the health department to court.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths