PHOENIX — Three people were killed Tuesday after a dust storm caused multiple crashes on Interstate 10 near Picacho Peak, the Arizona Department of Public Safety said.
The freeway was closed in both directions for several hours before reopening by about 10:30 p.m.
One of the people killed was 76-year-old Gordon Lee Smith of Mead, Wash. His wife, who was not identified, was injured in the crash and hospitalized.
The other two fatalities have not been identified.
DPS Officer Carrick Cook said the crashes were first reported around noon, when a severe thunderstorm was moving through the area. The storm kicked up a lot of dust and cut visibility to near zero.
Cook said that at least 19 vehicles were involved in the crashes.
“Ten commercial vehicles and they take up an area about 50 feet,” said DPS Officer Raul Garcia. “They’re almost crowded together in an oval shape. A lot of the sedans that were involved in this collision are actually underneath those commercial vehicles and tankers.”
Garcia said the crash generated a heavy emergency response.
“We probably have 30 emergency vehicles on scene that responded to this collision,” he said, adding that about 100 people who working to investigate and clear the scene.
More than a dozen people were injured in the crashes.
Interstate 10 was originally closed in both directions north of Picacho Peak as a result of the crashes. Traffic was getting around the crash on frontage roads.
Cook said the crashes serve as a grim reminder for drivers to pull completely off the road during dust storms and extinguish their lights to avoid being hit.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.