This is the story that YOU wanted to hear us talk about! It received 50 percent of the vote in our Radioactive poll!
PHOENIX — The Border Patrol, military and other law enforcement agencies have used unmanned drones and now Sheriff Joe Arpaio wants drones at his disposal.
Arpaio said that drones would be able to pinpoint drug smugglers in the desert and aid in search and rescue.
“Other law enforcement agencies use them so I don’t know why there would be a controversy just because I’m looking ahead. Everybody uses helicopters, so what’s the difference?” Arpaio said. “Doesn’t make sense that anybody would be concerned other than the Big Brother issue and they think we’ll be flying over Van Buren and other places. … I wouldn’t be using them on the streets to check people out.”
Seattle officials dropped plans for the police department to use unmanned drones after a storm of backlash from citizens and rights groups.
Arpaio said the people he would be looking for, drug smugglers, would help pay for the drones.
“Money from our RICOH fund, money seized from dope peddlers. These drones are really not that expensive when you look at it.”
Arpaio did not give the cost estimate on the drones and he would need FAA approval to use them.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- ‘Supernatural’ TV show convention comes to Arizona
- Jan Brewer thinks Paul Penzone will have tough time beating Sheriff Joe Arpaio
- Mac & Gaydos joined by Burmese python after losing March Madness bet
- Mac and Gaydos deliver pizzas to winning class in REDucation contest
- Civil rights activist wants Phoenix-area NAACP boss to step down after incident