This is the story that YOU wanted to hear us talk about! It received 50 percent of the vote in our Radioactive poll!
PHOENIX — The Border Patrol, military and other law enforcement agencies have used unmanned drones and now Sheriff Joe Arpaio wants drones at his disposal.
Arpaio said that drones would be able to pinpoint drug smugglers in the desert and aid in search and rescue.
“Other law enforcement agencies use them so I don’t know why there would be a controversy just because I’m looking ahead. Everybody uses helicopters, so what’s the difference?” Arpaio said. “Doesn’t make sense that anybody would be concerned other than the Big Brother issue and they think we’ll be flying over Van Buren and other places. … I wouldn’t be using them on the streets to check people out.”
Seattle officials dropped plans for the police department to use unmanned drones after a storm of backlash from citizens and rights groups.
Arpaio said the people he would be looking for, drug smugglers, would help pay for the drones.
“Money from our RICOH fund, money seized from dope peddlers. These drones are really not that expensive when you look at it.”
Arpaio did not give the cost estimate on the drones and he would need FAA approval to use them.
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Arizona Rep. Kyrsten Sinema: ‘It’s my job’ to attend Trump inauguration
- Arizona. Gov. Doug Ducey to push for teacher raises in upcoming months
- Gov. Doug Ducey: I approve of border wall ‘as long as it benefits Arizona’
- ‘Supernatural’ TV show convention comes to Arizona
- Jan Brewer thinks Paul Penzone will have tough time beating Sheriff Joe Arpaio