CHANDLER — Two boys remained in critical condition Sunday following a rollover crash in Chandler earlier in the weekend.
According to police, the driver of a Ford F250 was traveling west Saturday on Ray Road at a high rate of speed when he lost control of the vehicle. Witnesses said the truck went over a sidewalk and into a retention pond before coming back up onto Arrowhead Drive and striking a Nissan Pathfinder with three young children inside.
“We believe it was going fast enough that it actually launched the vehicle in the air, and while it was airborne, it struck the top of that vehicle that was traveling through,” said Sgt. Joe Favazzo of the Chandler Police Department.
The truck collided with the rear passenger window of the Pathfinder, causing the SUV to roll over two times in the roadway and land on all four wheels.
“When the truck hit that vehicle, it spun it to the right, which made that vehicle drive down off of Arrowhead and into a retention base and into a landscaped area,” Favazzo said.
Two 3-year-old boys in the Pathfinder suffered serious injuries and remain in critical condition. The 61-year-old driver and a 1-year-old girl suffered minor injuries.
The driver of the truck, Nathan Painter, 43, fled the scene. Witnesses followed him through a neighborhood, where the vehicle eventually came to a stop. Painter’s girlfriend was in the front passenger seat of the truck and also sustained injuries during the collision.
Painter was booked on multiple counts of aggravated assault, endangerment and hit and run.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas