CHANDLER — Two boys remained in critical condition Sunday following a rollover crash in Chandler earlier in the weekend.
According to police, the driver of a Ford F250 was traveling west Saturday on Ray Road at a high rate of speed when he lost control of the vehicle. Witnesses said the truck went over a sidewalk and into a retention pond before coming back up onto Arrowhead Drive and striking a Nissan Pathfinder with three young children inside.
“We believe it was going fast enough that it actually launched the vehicle in the air, and while it was airborne, it struck the top of that vehicle that was traveling through,” said Sgt. Joe Favazzo of the Chandler Police Department.
The truck collided with the rear passenger window of the Pathfinder, causing the SUV to roll over two times in the roadway and land on all four wheels.
“When the truck hit that vehicle, it spun it to the right, which made that vehicle drive down off of Arrowhead and into a retention base and into a landscaped area,” Favazzo said.
Two 3-year-old boys in the Pathfinder suffered serious injuries and remain in critical condition. The 61-year-old driver and a 1-year-old girl suffered minor injuries.
The driver of the truck, Nathan Painter, 43, fled the scene. Witnesses followed him through a neighborhood, where the vehicle eventually came to a stop. Painter’s girlfriend was in the front passenger seat of the truck and also sustained injuries during the collision.
Painter was booked on multiple counts of aggravated assault, endangerment and hit and run.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments