CHANDLER — Two boys remained in critical condition Sunday following a rollover crash in Chandler earlier in the weekend.
According to police, the driver of a Ford F250 was traveling west Saturday on Ray Road at a high rate of speed when he lost control of the vehicle. Witnesses said the truck went over a sidewalk and into a retention pond before coming back up onto Arrowhead Drive and striking a Nissan Pathfinder with three young children inside.
“We believe it was going fast enough that it actually launched the vehicle in the air, and while it was airborne, it struck the top of that vehicle that was traveling through,” said Sgt. Joe Favazzo of the Chandler Police Department.
The truck collided with the rear passenger window of the Pathfinder, causing the SUV to roll over two times in the roadway and land on all four wheels.
“When the truck hit that vehicle, it spun it to the right, which made that vehicle drive down off of Arrowhead and into a retention base and into a landscaped area,” Favazzo said.
Two 3-year-old boys in the Pathfinder suffered serious injuries and remain in critical condition. The 61-year-old driver and a 1-year-old girl suffered minor injuries.
The driver of the truck, Nathan Painter, 43, fled the scene. Witnesses followed him through a neighborhood, where the vehicle eventually came to a stop. Painter’s girlfriend was in the front passenger seat of the truck and also sustained injuries during the collision.
Painter was booked on multiple counts of aggravated assault, endangerment and hit and run.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy