CHANDLER — After finding a kitten floating in a pool, a maintenance worker at a mobile home park in Chandler checked surveillance video and found that animal had been thrown over the fence. Workers checked more cameras and called police after they spotted disturbing images on video taken at the playground.
Police Sgt. Joe Favazzo said video shows five boys between the ages of 7 and 12 taunting, kicking and throwing the 2-month old kitten. A sixth boy apparently watched, but didn’t participate.
“When you watch this video, you almost can’t watch it. You want to turn away,” Favazzo said. “The kitten tries to get away several times, but is pursued by six boys that quickly capture this kitten and go back to their cruelty.”
Favazzo said the boys eventually threw the lifeless cat over the fence and into the pool. The 7-year-old is too young to be arrested under Arizona law, but Favazzo said the four other boys were arrested and will face animal cruelty charges in juvenile court.
“This was a little kitten that was repeatedly abused by a group of boys,” the sergeant said. “It starts today with a kitten…at what point does it turn to another child they start abusing? Or at what point, as they grow older, does it turn to adults and people who are becoming victims of this cruelty.”
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development