PHOENIX — A Mesa, Ariz. teenager accused of killing his mother will be charged as an adult, police said Monday.
Sgt. Tony Landato told KTAR the incident all started with a call early Saturday morning from a man who said his stepson, Michael Roy Helms, had attacked him. When police responded, they found signs of a struggle and the body of 36-year-old Tina Helms Spencer in a shed.
“The suspect was currently grounded,” Landato said. “He’d been in trouble at school for doing some things, and that night he had a heated argument with his mother over the phone prior to her coming home from work, and it sounds like that’s what really kind of prompted all this.”
Police believe Helms struck Spencer with a frying pan and a hammer and also chocked her.
Landato said Spencer’s car and Helms were gone when they arrived. They spent the next several hours searching for Hemls. When Helms showed up at a friend’s house, detectives were waiting to arrest him. Helm’s 17-year-old friend, Christian Lee Blakely, was also booked into juvenile detention and is facing charges as an accomplice to the mother’s murder, including helping conceal the body and tampering with evidence.
“It is our understanding that after this phone call there were some comments made, intentions known by the son what he was going to do and he had asked for the friend to stay and help,” Landato said. “We believe the friend was present for it during the assault by the son on the mother and then helped after that.”
Court documents showed the teenagers used a mop and latex gloves in an attempt to cover up the crime. Blakely is also suspected of checking the news to see if anyone knew about the killing.
The stepfather who was assaulted has been treated and released from the hospital.
Helms was booked Saturday night on charges of first-degree murder of his mother, attempted first-degree murder of his stepfather, three counts of aggravated assault against the stepfather, concealment of a dead body and tampering with evidence.
KTAR’s Christina Estes and the Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon