PHOENIX — Police say three generations of the Moore family were shot and killed by their next door neighbor, who later killed himself.
It happened Saturday morning at a Phoenix townhouse complex near 17th Avenue and Camelback Road. Phoenix police first responded to calls about a man firing shots in the complex. When they arrived and started searching the area, they discovered four adults and two dogs shot inside one townhome.
Sgt. Tommy Thompson said 56-year-old Michael Dante Guzzo first shot 66-year-old Bruce Moore and his son-in-law, 42-year-old Michael Moore, on their back patio before moving inside their home and shooting 36-year-old Renee Moore and her 17-year-old son, Shannon. Using a pump shotgun, Guzzo also shot and killed two dogs that belonged to the Moore family.
“While there is some speculation from perhaps neighbors that maybe Guzzo had an issue with barking dogs, we just don’t know,” Thompson said Sunday. “There are questions we may never be able to find answers for because the victims and suspect are dead in this case. It is a senseless tragedy, a senseless act of violence.”
Thompson said police have no record of Guzzo having a violent history, but their investigation continues.
According to police, after shooting the Moore family, Guzzo walked across the courtyard and shot through the front door and window of another townhouse. A neighbor yelled at him, and police said Guzzo shot at the neighbor before fleeing back to his home and shooting and killing himself.
“Our hearts, our thoughts, our prayers go out to the family and friends of the Moores,” Thompson said. “And when I say that it’s not just the police department, it’s everybody in the community because something like this touches the entire community.”
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy