PHOENIX — Police say three generations of the Moore family were shot and killed by their next door neighbor, who later killed himself.
It happened Saturday morning at a Phoenix townhouse complex near 17th Avenue and Camelback Road. Phoenix police first responded to calls about a man firing shots in the complex. When they arrived and started searching the area, they discovered four adults and two dogs shot inside one townhome.
Sgt. Tommy Thompson said 56-year-old Michael Dante Guzzo first shot 66-year-old Bruce Moore and his son-in-law, 42-year-old Michael Moore, on their back patio before moving inside their home and shooting 36-year-old Renee Moore and her 17-year-old son, Shannon. Using a pump shotgun, Guzzo also shot and killed two dogs that belonged to the Moore family.
“While there is some speculation from perhaps neighbors that maybe Guzzo had an issue with barking dogs, we just don’t know,” Thompson said Sunday. “There are questions we may never be able to find answers for because the victims and suspect are dead in this case. It is a senseless tragedy, a senseless act of violence.”
Thompson said police have no record of Guzzo having a violent history, but their investigation continues.
According to police, after shooting the Moore family, Guzzo walked across the courtyard and shot through the front door and window of another townhouse. A neighbor yelled at him, and police said Guzzo shot at the neighbor before fleeing back to his home and shooting and killing himself.
“Our hearts, our thoughts, our prayers go out to the family and friends of the Moores,” Thompson said. “And when I say that it’s not just the police department, it’s everybody in the community because something like this touches the entire community.”
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns