PHOENIX — Police say three generations of the Moore family were shot and killed by their next door neighbor, who later killed himself.
It happened Saturday morning at a Phoenix townhouse complex near 17th Avenue and Camelback Road. Phoenix police first responded to calls about a man firing shots in the complex. When they arrived and started searching the area, they discovered four adults and two dogs shot inside one townhome.
Sgt. Tommy Thompson said 56-year-old Michael Dante Guzzo first shot 66-year-old Bruce Moore and his son-in-law, 42-year-old Michael Moore, on their back patio before moving inside their home and shooting 36-year-old Renee Moore and her 17-year-old son, Shannon. Using a pump shotgun, Guzzo also shot and killed two dogs that belonged to the Moore family.
“While there is some speculation from perhaps neighbors that maybe Guzzo had an issue with barking dogs, we just don’t know,” Thompson said Sunday. “There are questions we may never be able to find answers for because the victims and suspect are dead in this case. It is a senseless tragedy, a senseless act of violence.”
Thompson said police have no record of Guzzo having a violent history, but their investigation continues.
According to police, after shooting the Moore family, Guzzo walked across the courtyard and shot through the front door and window of another townhouse. A neighbor yelled at him, and police said Guzzo shot at the neighbor before fleeing back to his home and shooting and killing himself.
“Our hearts, our thoughts, our prayers go out to the family and friends of the Moores,” Thompson said. “And when I say that it’s not just the police department, it’s everybody in the community because something like this touches the entire community.”
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development