Researchers with TGen in Phoenix are sounding the alarm about MRSA.
MRSA is caused by staph bacteria that have become resistant to antibiotics and live in the nose and on the skin, and is spread by skin-to-skin contact.
It’s contagious and is becoming a big problem.
“The Centers for Disease Control, just a few weeks ago, reported that at rock bottom minimum, 23,000 Americans die each year of drug resistant bacteria,” NAU professor Lance Price said.
The Translational Genomics Research Institute, or TGen, is working on MRSA. Price is part of the project and says MRSA is a serious situation.
“The World Health Organization and the Centers for Disease Control name Antibiotic-resistant bacteria as one of the greatest threats we face today,” Price said.
T-Gen is trying to find what causes MRSA to spread. One way is through direct contact with what Price called “food animals,” such as pigs.
Price commended the Food and Drug Administration for proposing that food animal producers use fewer antibiotics. But he said more needs to be done.
“While this is a good step forward, we’re at a time now where we should be leaping forward,” Price said. “We need to have mandatory rules to decrease antibiotic use to prevent these bugs from coming out.”
Price said MRSA is just one of several superbugs that Americans need to be concerned about.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon