PHOENIX — The Republican Party has plans to discuss comprehensive immigration reform on the floor of the U.S. House, an Arizona congressman said Friday.
Rep. Trent Franks said he has been meeting with House Speaker John Boehner and the two have been working on a plan to discuss immigration on a national level.
“We have meetings one to two times per week and I can tell you that there is a plan to bring immigration to the floor,” Franks said.
Franks told the news to a group of activists who planned to camp all night in front of his home to demand action on immigration.
Franks said, in his opinion, the immigration system is not working because its mired in the debate in Washington.
“It’s a lot harder then for people to come here legally,” he said.
Franks said the amnesty granted to millions of illegal immigrants in 1986 was the wrong way to go about handling illegal immigration.
“I want to do it right this time so that we don’t have to deal with this again in 25 or 30 years when it’s even harder to do this,” he said.
Franks said he hopes the new system is rooted in justice and allows the United States to enact laws that will no longer encourage survival of the fittest when it comes to immigrating to America.
“One of the biggest things wrong in the world today is that, somehow, those who are not strong or those who can’t defend themselves, the voiceless, are the ones that are crushed by the ones that don’t care or don’t notice,” he said.
Franks did not give a timetable for the topic to be raised in the House nor further details about the plan.
Boehner’s spokesman has said the Republicans do not plan to introduce a sweeping immigration bill, but instead will focus on making changes through several pieces of legislation, a plan most Democrats reject.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever