PHOENIX — Phoenix police will soon work with Mexican leaders to try to improve police relations with the Hispanic community.
The Mexican Consulate in Phoenix will host monthly forums in which Phoenix police will speak to Hispanics about how to report and prevent crime, protect their families and learn about police community activities.
Mexican Counsel General Roberto Hernandez said learning these things is important.
“They must be able to call the police in order to report different crimes,” he said. “In that way, they are going to be protecting their families and the society in which they are living.”
Phoenix Police Chief Daniel Garcia said that Arizona’s immigration Law, SB 1070, makes many Hispanics afraid to call the police. He said that has to change.
“We cannot stay stuck on SB 1070. The fact is we have police for everybody, and we have to police various areas of the city.”
The police department will also use the meetings to talk about domestic violence, child abuse and the consequences of driving under the influence.
The consulate did not say when the forums will begin.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns