PHOENIX — Phoenix police will soon work with Mexican leaders to try to improve police relations with the Hispanic community.
The Mexican Consulate in Phoenix will host monthly forums in which Phoenix police will speak to Hispanics about how to report and prevent crime, protect their families and learn about police community activities.
Mexican Counsel General Roberto Hernandez said learning these things is important.
“They must be able to call the police in order to report different crimes,” he said. “In that way, they are going to be protecting their families and the society in which they are living.”
Phoenix Police Chief Daniel Garcia said that Arizona’s immigration Law, SB 1070, makes many Hispanics afraid to call the police. He said that has to change.
“We cannot stay stuck on SB 1070. The fact is we have police for everybody, and we have to police various areas of the city.”
The police department will also use the meetings to talk about domestic violence, child abuse and the consequences of driving under the influence.
The consulate did not say when the forums will begin.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development