PHOENIX — Phoenix police will soon work with Mexican leaders to try to improve police relations with the Hispanic community.
The Mexican Consulate in Phoenix will host monthly forums in which Phoenix police will speak to Hispanics about how to report and prevent crime, protect their families and learn about police community activities.
Mexican Counsel General Roberto Hernandez said learning these things is important.
“They must be able to call the police in order to report different crimes,” he said. “In that way, they are going to be protecting their families and the society in which they are living.”
Phoenix Police Chief Daniel Garcia said that Arizona’s immigration Law, SB 1070, makes many Hispanics afraid to call the police. He said that has to change.
“We cannot stay stuck on SB 1070. The fact is we have police for everybody, and we have to police various areas of the city.”
The police department will also use the meetings to talk about domestic violence, child abuse and the consequences of driving under the influence.
The consulate did not say when the forums will begin.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night