PHOENIX — A Phoenix-based scam is catching Canadian car buyers off-guard.
OMVIC, the agency that regulates motor vehicle sales in Ontario, Canada, is warning potential car buyers of the online hoax.
According to the Ontario Motor Vehicle Industry Council, an Ottawa man was nearly duped out of $42,500 when he wanted to make a deposit on a Ferrari F43. The man reportedly saw the vehicle advertised on AutoTrader. When he responded to the add, he was told the car was in Phoenix and was directed to the scammer’s website.
Fortunately, the man alerted OMVIC before sending the money and they checked it out.
“The dealership claims to be in Arizona. Their website gives an address of 720 West Highland in Phoenix, but of course the dealership doesn’t exist, their inventory doesn’t exist, the cars don’t exist,” said Terry O’Keefe with OMVIC.
Several people have already fallen for the scam.
“If you a vehicle priced far below market value, that’s not an opportunity, that’s a warning,” said O’Keefe.
Canadian and American authorities, including the Federal Bureau of Investigation, are investigating.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon