PHOENIX — Valley Metro is hosting meetings Monday and Tuesday nights to update the public about the possibility of the light rail eventually running into downtown Glendale.
The meetings will focus on the West Phoenix/Central Glendale Transit Cooridor Study. Melissa Quillard with Valley Metro said there are six different possible routes for a light rail extension and they want public input.
“One possible route is on Glendale, there’s one on Northern while another could go down Camelback and then other variations, but all would end in the downtown Glendale area.”
If the one of the options is approved, the light rail would run to 59th Avenue and Glendale. Construction would not begin until 2023 and the trains wouldn’t be rolling until 2026.
“This all depends on identifying a route and finding the funding,” said Quillard. “There’s a lot involved with these projects.”
Running the light rail into downtown Glendale isn’t the only option being considered. Street cars and rapid transit bus service are also being discussed.
Monday’s meeting is being held tom 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at Glendale City Council Chambers at 5850 W. Glendale Avenue. Tuesday, the public meeting will be at the Alhambra High School Library from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at 3839 W. Camelback Road in Phoenix.
The first 20 miles of light rail opened in 2008. Six extensions are planned or are currently under construction. The system will run 57 miles by 2032.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food