PHOENIX — Valley Metro is hosting meetings Monday and Tuesday nights to update the public about the possibility of the light rail eventually running into downtown Glendale.
The meetings will focus on the West Phoenix/Central Glendale Transit Cooridor Study. Melissa Quillard with Valley Metro said there are six different possible routes for a light rail extension and they want public input.
“One possible route is on Glendale, there’s one on Northern while another could go down Camelback and then other variations, but all would end in the downtown Glendale area.”
If the one of the options is approved, the light rail would run to 59th Avenue and Glendale. Construction would not begin until 2023 and the trains wouldn’t be rolling until 2026.
“This all depends on identifying a route and finding the funding,” said Quillard. “There’s a lot involved with these projects.”
Running the light rail into downtown Glendale isn’t the only option being considered. Street cars and rapid transit bus service are also being discussed.
Monday’s meeting is being held tom 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at Glendale City Council Chambers at 5850 W. Glendale Avenue. Tuesday, the public meeting will be at the Alhambra High School Library from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at 3839 W. Camelback Road in Phoenix.
The first 20 miles of light rail opened in 2008. Six extensions are planned or are currently under construction. The system will run 57 miles by 2032.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.