PHOENIX — When you’re out looking at a pre-owned home to buy, are you more concerned with who lived there before?
Or who died in that home before? Or if that home is haunted?
Realtor Greg Markov with Home Smart said the question comes up from potential buyers about the home’s past and, if it was the scene of a murder or another type of death, Arizona state law said the seller does not have to disclose that information.
“They can’t lie about it but they can choose to take the Fifth and not answer the question,” he said.
That’s not the only thing sellers don’t have to give up. The law also applies to witches and goblins, but not zombies.
There is a website called diedinhouse.com that searches public records for a fee to see if any crimes or deaths are associated with the home.
“They merely mash up emergency response records so it’s not a for sure thing but maybe,” said Markov. “But the buyer can actually dig this info up on their own. Actually the best thing to do is just talk to neighbors.”
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food