PHOENIX — When you’re out looking at a pre-owned home to buy, are you more concerned with who lived there before?
Or who died in that home before? Or if that home is haunted?
Realtor Greg Markov with Home Smart said the question comes up from potential buyers about the home’s past and, if it was the scene of a murder or another type of death, Arizona state law said the seller does not have to disclose that information.
“They can’t lie about it but they can choose to take the Fifth and not answer the question,” he said.
That’s not the only thing sellers don’t have to give up. The law also applies to witches and goblins, but not zombies.
There is a website called diedinhouse.com that searches public records for a fee to see if any crimes or deaths are associated with the home.
“They merely mash up emergency response records so it’s not a for sure thing but maybe,” said Markov. “But the buyer can actually dig this info up on their own. Actually the best thing to do is just talk to neighbors.”
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier