PHOENIX — When you’re out looking at a pre-owned home to buy, are you more concerned with who lived there before?
Or who died in that home before? Or if that home is haunted?
Realtor Greg Markov with Home Smart said the question comes up from potential buyers about the home’s past and, if it was the scene of a murder or another type of death, Arizona state law said the seller does not have to disclose that information.
“They can’t lie about it but they can choose to take the Fifth and not answer the question,” he said.
That’s not the only thing sellers don’t have to give up. The law also applies to witches and goblins, but not zombies.
There is a website called diedinhouse.com that searches public records for a fee to see if any crimes or deaths are associated with the home.
“They merely mash up emergency response records so it’s not a for sure thing but maybe,” said Markov. “But the buyer can actually dig this info up on their own. Actually the best thing to do is just talk to neighbors.”
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development