It was the crunch heard ’round the city, an undoubtedly sweet sound for the Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton.
Hundreds of people turned out for FitPHX program’s “Apple Crunch” in downtown Phoenix Thursday, in an attempt to set the record for most people biting into a fresh apple at the same time.
The event was part of Food Day, an annual, nationwide celebration of healthy, affordable and sustainably-produced food.
Stanton used the opportunity to encourage people to live and eat healthy, particularly young people.
“It’s very important, not just for their own health and quality of life but for the health of a city,” Stanton said. “We can save a significant amount of money on healthcare costs if we can just get people thinking and acting in a more healthy way,” said Stanton.
This year’s event was held at Cesar Chavez Plaza.
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains