It was the crunch heard ’round the city, an undoubtedly sweet sound for the Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton.
Hundreds of people turned out for FitPHX program’s “Apple Crunch” in downtown Phoenix Thursday, in an attempt to set the record for most people biting into a fresh apple at the same time.
The event was part of Food Day, an annual, nationwide celebration of healthy, affordable and sustainably-produced food.
Stanton used the opportunity to encourage people to live and eat healthy, particularly young people.
“It’s very important, not just for their own health and quality of life but for the health of a city,” Stanton said. “We can save a significant amount of money on healthcare costs if we can just get people thinking and acting in a more healthy way,” said Stanton.
This year’s event was held at Cesar Chavez Plaza.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America