SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — Thursday was a huge day for about 200 charities statewide as the Waste Management Phoenix Open and the Thunderbirds announced that the January tournament raised more than $6 million.
Thunderbirds Big Chief Tom Altieri said Special Olympics, St. Mary’s Food Bank, United Way and many others will get a slice of the $6.2 million check that was made possible by hundreds of thousands of golf fans who attended this year’s tournament.
“If you bought a bottle of water, a hot dog, a soda or a beer then you contributed to this check.”
Altieri said this is one of his favorite days of the year, as thousands of people in need benefit from hard work.
Since 1932, the Phoenix Open has raised almost $90 million for charities in Arizona.
The 2014 Open tees off Jan. 27 at TPC of Scottsdale.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development