SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — Thursday was a huge day for about 200 charities statewide as the Waste Management Phoenix Open and the Thunderbirds announced that the January tournament raised more than $6 million.
Thunderbirds Big Chief Tom Altieri said Special Olympics, St. Mary’s Food Bank, United Way and many others will get a slice of the $6.2 million check that was made possible by hundreds of thousands of golf fans who attended this year’s tournament.
“If you bought a bottle of water, a hot dog, a soda or a beer then you contributed to this check.”
Altieri said this is one of his favorite days of the year, as thousands of people in need benefit from hard work.
Since 1932, the Phoenix Open has raised almost $90 million for charities in Arizona.
The 2014 Open tees off Jan. 27 at TPC of Scottsdale.
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain