PHOENIX — A pair of U.S. congressmen from Arizona are pushing for the resignation of the woman who oversees the agency that protects America’s health, in wake of the disastrous online launch of the federal health care program.
Republicans David Schweikert and Trent Franks are among a congressional group of 32 who signed and sent a letter Wednesday to President Obama saying Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius should be held accountable for the flawed rollout of healthcare.gov.
The letter read, in part:
“With more than three years to prepare for the implementation of the Affordable Care Act, we are surprised to see the level of uncertainty, confusion and incompetence that has riddled the Health Insurance Marketplace since October 1. The Department of Health and Human Services, under the leadership of Secretary Kathleen Sebelius, was entrusted with the responsibility of ensuring an integrated debut of the federal government’s website, HealthCare.gov…The scope of the problem is so great that, were this a private company or military command, the CEO or general would have been fired. We are, therefore, calling on you to hold Secretary Sebelius accountable for the fiasco that is HealthCare.gov and ask for her resignation. …
“It’s not too late. By calling for the resignation of Secretary Sebelius, you can send a powerful signal that the American people will not be held responsible for her department’s failures. By granting a delay in the rollout of Obamacare, you can ensure fairness for all Americans, not just the select few.”
Sebelius is in Phoenix on Thursday to tour government health care-related sites.
The rollout, which launched Oct. 1, has been plagued by consumer complaints of being unable to log in, excessively long wait times, and not knowing if their application was received.
Problems began immediately. Website contractors said the Obama administration is also responsible.
KTAR’s Jim Cross contributed to this article.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food