Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton has had enough of criminals who paint graffiti and commit other crimes against property owners.
Stanton has kicked off a pilot program to stop crimes against residents and neighborhoods.
Recent statistics reveal that the city removes graffiti at approximately 70,000 sites each year. About $2.5 million is spent by Neighborhood Services Department to fight graffiti, but the both the city and NSD have spent $6 million.
“My office has worked diligently with neighborhood activists, police departments, Neighborhood Services and the Prosecutor’s Office to introduce a new pilot program in the Maryvale and Central City Police Precincts, which will allow registered neighborhood groups to invoke victim rights regarding graffiti crimes in the neighborhoods,” Stanton explained. “Under this new pilot program, neighborhoods will now have the ability to tell a judge exactly how graffiti impacts their neighborhoods. This program is another tool to empower our neighborhoods and help them fight back.”
Stanton’s goal is to allow residents to participate in criminal proceedings and to help get stiffer penalties for lawbreakers.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them