FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. — The U.S. Department of Education has given Northern Arizona University the go-ahead to teach classes using an online, competency-based program.
It’s called “Personalized Learning,” and it helps students earn a degree using skills they already have, in addition to what they learn in the classroom.
“Personalized Learning is a set of three degrees,” said Allison Brown, NAU’s Associate Dean for Academic Affairs for Extended Campuses. “They are in Computer Information Technology, Small Business Administration and Liberal Arts. They are offered completely online as a competency- and skills-based program.”
Brown says you may be able to skip some of the course work to get your degree sooner.
“Students are able to show us that they are competent in various skills,” Brown said. “If they are, they pass a pretest in an area, and they don’t need to take the coursework associated with what they already know.”
Brown says a student with just a little life experience could be able to graduate in about three and a half years.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them