PHOENIX — A high-tech crosswalk was switched on Wednesday near a south Phoenix elementary school.
Students at Rose Linda Elementary School have used the crosswalk at 12th Street and Broadway before with the help of two crossing guards. There is no stop light at the intersection. Those guards have been replaced by a new signal system called the High Intensity Activated Crosswalk, or H.A.W.K.
“The H.A.W.K. system is a pedestrian-activated signal,” said Phoenix School Safety Administrator Donald Cross.
The crosswalk has overhead lights that change to red to stop traffic.
“You only see the activation of the signal when the pedestrian hits the button,” Cross said. “Otherwise, the heads where the lights are are black.”
When the signal is not activated, traffic can move through the area without stopping.
There are 21 H.A.W.K. crosswalks in Phoenix, including two others in the South Mountain Village area where Rose Linda School is located.
So far, the crosswalks are doing their job.
“Drivers respond to them,” said Cross. “We’ve found that it’s about a 98 percent driver response rate to the signals.”
Each crosswalk costs the city between $80,000 and $100,000.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas