PHOENIX — Authorities were working Wednesday to rescue a 21-year-old hiker who was stranded on Piestewa Peak after fracturing his ankle, the Phoenix Fire Department said.
The hiker called 911 about 2:30 p.m. and said he had sustained an ankle injury in a crevasse off the trail on the west side of the mountain and was unable to get himself out.
Phoenix Fire Capt. Jonathan Jacobs said the hiker is trapped in a dangerous area. It has steep terrain and large, loose rocks.
“It’s become a little bit of an effort to get to him and get the resources that we need to get over there to him,” he said.
Jacobs said the department would normally use a twin-engine helicopter it shares with Phoenix police to rescue the hiker, but it is currently undergoing its annual maintenance overhaul.
Officials set up a rope system and lowered the hiker down to a less steep area. He was then placed in a basket with a large wheel on the bottom.
The biggest concerns are the fading daylight and rugged terrain, so the hiker is not being wheeled directly off the mountain.
“Due to where he was at, this has been a really labor-intensive type of a rescue…what we’re going to do is continue to wheel him in that basket until we can get him to a landing zone and actually land a helicopter in there,” Jacobs explained.
Jacobs said the hiker, who has not been identified, is in stable condition.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.