PHOENIX — Authorities were working Wednesday to rescue a 21-year-old hiker who was stranded on Piestewa Peak after fracturing his ankle, the Phoenix Fire Department said.
The hiker called 911 about 2:30 p.m. and said he had sustained an ankle injury in a crevasse off the trail on the west side of the mountain and was unable to get himself out.
Phoenix Fire Capt. Jonathan Jacobs said the hiker is trapped in a dangerous area. It has steep terrain and large, loose rocks.
“It’s become a little bit of an effort to get to him and get the resources that we need to get over there to him,” he said.
Jacobs said the department would normally use a twin-engine helicopter it shares with Phoenix police to rescue the hiker, but it is currently undergoing its annual maintenance overhaul.
Officials set up a rope system and lowered the hiker down to a less steep area. He was then placed in a basket with a large wheel on the bottom.
The biggest concerns are the fading daylight and rugged terrain, so the hiker is not being wheeled directly off the mountain.
“Due to where he was at, this has been a really labor-intensive type of a rescue…what we’re going to do is continue to wheel him in that basket until we can get him to a landing zone and actually land a helicopter in there,” Jacobs explained.
Jacobs said the hiker, who has not been identified, is in stable condition.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development