PHOENIX — Authorities were working Wednesday to rescue a 21-year-old hiker who was stranded on Piestewa Peak after fracturing his ankle, the Phoenix Fire Department said.
The hiker called 911 about 2:30 p.m. and said he had sustained an ankle injury in a crevasse off the trail on the west side of the mountain and was unable to get himself out.
Phoenix Fire Capt. Jonathan Jacobs said the hiker is trapped in a dangerous area. It has steep terrain and large, loose rocks.
“It’s become a little bit of an effort to get to him and get the resources that we need to get over there to him,” he said.
Jacobs said the department would normally use a twin-engine helicopter it shares with Phoenix police to rescue the hiker, but it is currently undergoing its annual maintenance overhaul.
Officials set up a rope system and lowered the hiker down to a less steep area. He was then placed in a basket with a large wheel on the bottom.
The biggest concerns are the fading daylight and rugged terrain, so the hiker is not being wheeled directly off the mountain.
“Due to where he was at, this has been a really labor-intensive type of a rescue…what we’re going to do is continue to wheel him in that basket until we can get him to a landing zone and actually land a helicopter in there,” Jacobs explained.
Jacobs said the hiker, who has not been identified, is in stable condition.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy