PHOENIX — A 47-pound dog who had been shot is recovering after being carried down a mountain by a Phoenix woman.
Andi Davis was hiking near Dunlap and 20th Street when she found the dog lying on the mountain. He was nearly dead.
Davis carried the dog, now named Elijah, about a half-mile down the mountain and was met by her family.
“When my mom found our new dog on the mountain, my heart broke at the first sight of him,” wrote Davis’ daughter, Jessi. “He was torn up. Everywhere.”
The group then took Elijah to the Arizona Humane Society. He had an open wound on his left side and X-rays revealed a bullet in the middle of his neck and bullet fragments in his shoulders. Veterinarians opted to leave the bullet and fragments in place, as removing the fragments could damage Elijah’s spine or other nerves.
After being treated, Elijah was placed in foster care with Davis’ family to continue his recovery. AHS medical staff will continue to monitor his progress.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns