PHOENIX — Two men are suing the City of Scottsdale over its deal to host the Phoenix Open golf tournament.
John Washington and Mark Stuart filed the lawsuit Tuesday in Maricopa Superior Court. Court documents also list elected city officials as defendants in claims that the groups were subsidizing the golf complex that hosts the Waste Management Phoenix Open.
The complaint said the city “illegally” used “money collected from hardworking taxpayers to subsidize private interests and the recreational activities of the wealthy,”
and that the city was “lavishing the Tournament and the TPC with millions of dollars in new ‘freebies’ paid for” by Scottsdale residents.
“Freebies” included improvements to the 400-acre site and clubhouse at Hayden Road near Princess Drive that will cost $25 million. The city would get $4 million of benefits in return, the lawsuit said. Such a one-sided deal is against the Arizona Constitution, the document cited, adding it also breaks the city charter.
A Scottsdale official said the city would defend itself.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier