PHOENIX — New Way Academy had been operating for 45 years out of a Scottsdale residential facility but has now moved into new home near 52nd Street and McDowell.
“We’re in a real school,” said New Way Academy Executive Director Abbey Ross. “And for our 150 children with learning differences, the last thing we want is for them to not feel like they’re in a real school.”
Ross said she’s “beyond excited” to be in the new school, which has modified the walls, colors and lighting in the classrooms to help the kindergarten through 12th grade students have a better learning environment along with much smaller class sizes. Typically schools have 30 students per class. New Way has 10.
“For our students, being in a class of 30 is nearly impossible for them,” said Ross. “There are smaller schools that do very good work but what sets us apart is that students who maybe fell through the cracks of mainstream education who feel at home here. It’s an expensive tuition but it’s because we know what we do works and that’s why parents come.”
The new facility has a gym, cafeteria, stage and sports programs. Ross said some are surprised that they have full sports programs but that too helps students with learning differences.
“All of our coaches coach in the ways we teach. We are competitive and we win a lot of games. When you’re dyslexic you’re very, very bright and when a coach understands that, things connect and you become athletic and academically talented.”
To learn more about the school, click here.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon