PHOENIX — New Way Academy had been operating for 45 years out of a Scottsdale residential facility but has now moved into new home near 52nd Street and McDowell.
“We’re in a real school,” said New Way Academy Executive Director Abbey Ross. “And for our 150 children with learning differences, the last thing we want is for them to not feel like they’re in a real school.”
Ross said she’s “beyond excited” to be in the new school, which has modified the walls, colors and lighting in the classrooms to help the kindergarten through 12th grade students have a better learning environment along with much smaller class sizes. Typically schools have 30 students per class. New Way has 10.
“For our students, being in a class of 30 is nearly impossible for them,” said Ross. “There are smaller schools that do very good work but what sets us apart is that students who maybe fell through the cracks of mainstream education who feel at home here. It’s an expensive tuition but it’s because we know what we do works and that’s why parents come.”
The new facility has a gym, cafeteria, stage and sports programs. Ross said some are surprised that they have full sports programs but that too helps students with learning differences.
“All of our coaches coach in the ways we teach. We are competitive and we win a lot of games. When you’re dyslexic you’re very, very bright and when a coach understands that, things connect and you become athletic and academically talented.”
To learn more about the school, click here.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.