PHOENIX — A coalition of immigrant rights groups is stepping up its efforts to get Congress to vote on immigration reform.
The Arizona Comprehensive Immigration Reform Table delivered a letter Tuesday to Republican headquarters in Phoenix. The letter encouraged state GOP leaders to urge U.S. House Speaker John Boehner to call for a congressional vote on comprehensive immigration reform.
Tony Navarette of the group Promise Arizona said if Congress were to vote on the issue, it would pass.
“We have over 27 Republicans who have come out and said they support a pathway to citizenship. Now it’s up for the house speaker to act,” said Navarette. “Speaker Boehner, we need you to act now,” he said.
Raquel Teran of the group Mi Familia Vote said immigrant rights groups will be stepping up their protests at GOP offices across the country.
“It is time to take our organizing to the next level, and we’re going to be here until the Republican Party comes out and publicly asks Boehner to give us a vote on the pathway to citizenship,” Teran said.
The group planned to return to the state GOP headquarters on Wednesday.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon