PHOENIX — A woman died Tuesday morning in an apartment fire in Phoenix near Southern and Central avenues.
Tony Mure with the Phoenix Fire department said neighbors noticed smoke in the apartment at around 5:30 a.m. and attempted to rescue the woman. Several men broke a window, broke through a screen door and used fire extinguishers to try to control the fire and rescue the victim.
The woman, in her late 60s, was too weak to open the door after she had fallen in front of it, Mure said.
Firefighters didn’t know what caused the fire, and haven’t identified the victim. The fire was contained and no other apartments were affected.
During the firefighting efforts, a neighbor tried to take a crew member’s hose, said Mure. Phoenix Police are looking for that person. It’s against the law to interfere with a firefighter performing his or her duty.
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck