PHOENIX — A woman died Tuesday morning in an apartment fire in Phoenix near Southern and Central avenues.
Tony Mure with the Phoenix Fire department said neighbors noticed smoke in the apartment at around 5:30 a.m. and attempted to rescue the woman. Several men broke a window, broke through a screen door and used fire extinguishers to try to control the fire and rescue the victim.
The woman, in her late 60s, was too weak to open the door after she had fallen in front of it, Mure said.
Firefighters didn’t know what caused the fire, and haven’t identified the victim. The fire was contained and no other apartments were affected.
During the firefighting efforts, a neighbor tried to take a crew member’s hose, said Mure. Phoenix Police are looking for that person. It’s against the law to interfere with a firefighter performing his or her duty.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon