PHOENIX — South Dakota ranchers lost tens of thousands of cattle in the recent blizzard and now the Yavapai County Farm Bureau is sending them a check for $10,000 to help get them back on their feet.
Kacie Tomerlin is a fifth-generation rancher in the Verde Valley and said cattle numbers were already at the lowest numbers since the 1950s. It will be felt at the grocery stores.
“This is an event that affects everyone. Producers and consumers will feel it nationwide.”
South Dakota ranks sixth nationally in livestock production. Tomerlin said it could take decades for ranchers to recover.
“This is historic. It’s heartache because it took many lifetimes of work to get to where the South Dakota ranchers were,” Tomerlin said. “Many of them are just having a hard time getting groceries. Their accounts are dry.”
She said ranchers don’t do what they do to get rich, they do it because they love it.
“We know this can happen but you can’t prepare for it.”
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development