PHOENIX — Goodbye, gas stations. We may soon use algae to power our cars.
University of Arizona researchers have been granted $8 million dollars by the Department of Energy to continue researching how to use algae to make biofuel, animal feed and plastics over the next four years.
“Our goal is to provide algal biofuel at a production cost equal to the cost of petroleum,” said Randy Ryan, assistant director of the Arizona Agricultural Experiment Station, a component of UA’s College of Agriculture and Life Sciences.
The researchers are using the Regional Algal Feedstock Testbed to develop continuous algae production across the Southwest. With algae production, Ryan said they should be able to address three major areas of interest to the general consumer.
“One, hopefully we can replace petroleum as a major source of carbon dioxide [pollution] in the atmosphere; number two, that we can produce animal feed from the residual biomass,” said Ryan. “And the third and really the biggest one, an agricultural industry that’s vibrant and produces fuel here in the U.S., where we keep those (petroleum) dollars here in the U.S.”
Successes in those areas could generate a whole new industry around agricultural production of fuels, and have a vibrant, green economy that helps with economic development, he said.
“And we can do all that from growing algae,” Ryan said.
Click here to learn more about the DOE grant and the Regional Algal Feedstock Testbed.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier