PHOENIX — Goodbye, gas stations. We may soon use algae to power our cars.
University of Arizona researchers have been granted $8 million dollars by the Department of Energy to continue researching how to use algae to make biofuel, animal feed and plastics over the next four years.
“Our goal is to provide algal biofuel at a production cost equal to the cost of petroleum,” said Randy Ryan, assistant director of the Arizona Agricultural Experiment Station, a component of UA’s College of Agriculture and Life Sciences.
The researchers are using the Regional Algal Feedstock Testbed to develop continuous algae production across the Southwest. With algae production, Ryan said they should be able to address three major areas of interest to the general consumer.
“One, hopefully we can replace petroleum as a major source of carbon dioxide [pollution] in the atmosphere; number two, that we can produce animal feed from the residual biomass,” said Ryan. “And the third and really the biggest one, an agricultural industry that’s vibrant and produces fuel here in the U.S., where we keep those (petroleum) dollars here in the U.S.”
Successes in those areas could generate a whole new industry around agricultural production of fuels, and have a vibrant, green economy that helps with economic development, he said.
“And we can do all that from growing algae,” Ryan said.
Click here to learn more about the DOE grant and the Regional Algal Feedstock Testbed.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development